I am a painter and an award-winning ceramicist. My paintings are abstract, but strongly influenced by representational forms and structures. I strive to discover and use various techniques, materials, and surfaces to expand and enliven my vision and means of artistic expression.
I paint in several mediums including acrylic, oil and cold wax, and gold leaf, but am not limited to these and will often blend and combine them where appropriate or interesting.
My works rely on an abstract organic underpainting with shapes, textures and shades forming integral elements of the finished pieces, and often incorporating influences of my Japanese heritage. I also strive to suggest or replicate the unpredictability and beauty of the crystalline shapes I produce in the glazes for my ceramic works in my paintings.
If a painting is one that I feel that I would like to keep for myself, then I have created art that I feel comfortable being viewed and enjoyed by others.
- Acquisition through FY22 ART BANK PROGRAM, DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities fine art collection.
- Finalist – DC ART NOW 2021, DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities I Street Gallery Exhibition, Washington DC. October 11 –December 10.
- Selected for OLD TOWN NORTH STORMWATER COVER DESIGN PROJECT, the City of Alexandria, May 2021.
- FY21 EMERGENCY RELIEF AND RECOVERY GRANT. ARTSFAIRFAX, September, 2020.
- MONTGOMERY POTTERS AWARD. Creative Crafts Council, 31st Biennial Exhibition. April – May, 2017.
- MONTGOMERY POTTERS AWARD. Creative Crafts Council, 30th Biennial Exhibition. June – August, 2015.
- 1ST PLACE. Kiln Club Annual Show. Scope Gallery, Torpedo Factory. Nick Joerling, Juror. April, 2010.
- STRAUSS FELLOWSHIP. Arts Council of Fairfax County. June, 2008.
- 1ST PLACE CLAY. Creative Crafts Council, 26th Biennial Exhibition. The James Renwick Alliance, Jurors. May – July, 2007.
- MONTGOMERY POTTERS AWARD. Creative Crafts Council, 26th Biennial Exhibition. May – July, 2007.
- JUROR’S CHOICE. Scope Gallery, Torpedo Factory. Malcolm Davis, Juror. April, 2011.
- JUROR’S CHOICE. Scope Gallery, Torpedo Factory. Blair Meerfeld, Juror. June, 2010.
- JUROR’S CHOICE. Scope Gallery, Torpedo Factory. John Jessiman, Juror. March, 2007.
Solo / Featured Exhibitions
- Invitational Solo Exhibition, CELEBRATION of AAPI HERITAGE MONTH, CCACC Art Gallery, Gaithersburg, MD. May 7 – MAY 27.
- FEATURED ARTIST, Cooley Gallery, Leesburg, VA. October 1 – October 31.
- FEATURED ARTIST, Cooley Gallery, Leesburg, VA. November 1 – November 30.
Juried Group Exhibitions
- DC ART NOW 2021, DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, I Street Gallery, Washington DC. October 11 – November 19.
- AAPI HERITAGE MONTH VIRTUAL EXHIBITION, CCACC Art Gallery. May.
- VIRTUAL SPOTLIGHT GROUP EXHIBITION and Instagram Artist Talk, Touchstone Gallery, Washington DC. December 2020 – February 2021.
- MAPPING THE WORLD, Exhibition and Artist Talk. The Cathay Future Center, Rockville, MD. February 15 – March 15.
- GREEN, Torpedo Factory Artists @ Mosaic, Fairfax, VA. February 19 – April 29. Cancelled because of COVID-19 pandemic.
- HIP HOLIDAY, Tryst Gallery, 312 E. Market St., Leesburg, VA. November 1, 2019 – January 9, 2020.
- VOYAGES, Torpedo Factory Artists @ Mosaic, Fairfax, VA. December 27, 2019 – January 27, 2020.
- SMALL PAINTINGS IN VENICE, in conjunction with VENICE BIENNALE, Venice, Italy, October 2019.
- AROUND, Torpedo Factory Art Center, Gallery 311, Alexandria, VA. July 14 – August 19.
- UNCOMMON VISIONS, Torpedo Factory Artists @ Mosaic, Fairfax, VA. January 24 – March 11.
- CAMERAS & CLAY, Torpedo Factory Artists @ Mosaic, Fairfax, VA. December 13 – January 21.
- PROLEGOMENA, Torpedo Factory Artists @ Mosaic, Fairfax, VA. November 4 – December 10.
- CREATIVE CRAFTS COUNCIL, 31st BIENNIAL EXHIBITION, The Mansion at Strathmore, Bethesda, MD. Maurine Littleton, Rebecca Stevens, Matthew Hyleck, Jurors. April – May.
- CREATIVE CRAFTS COUNCIL, 30st BIENNIAL EXHIBITION, The Mansion at Strathmore, Bethesda, MD. Nora Atkinson, Frederick L Wall, Shana Kroiz, Jurors. June- August.
- FROZEN IN FIRE– CRYSTALLINE WAVES, International Exhibition, Dunedin, FL. John Tilton, Ginny Conrow and Diane Crever, Jurors. April.
- GLENVIEW MANSION ART GALLERY, Rockville, MD. November.
- INFUSION 10 x 10, Craft Alliance, St. Louis, MO. Fong Choo, Juror. May – June.
- CREATIVE CRAFTS COUNCIL, 26st BIENNIAL EXHIBITION, The Mansion at Strathmore, Bethesda, MD. The James Renwick Alliance, Jurors. May – July.
- 100 TEAPOTS III, Baltimore Clayworks, Baltimore, MD. Julia Galloway, Juror. January – February.
- Elan magazine, September 2021
- INTERVIEW, ALL BUSINESS MEDIA FM-PROFESSIONALS ROUNDTABLE. January 17, 2018.
- SURFACE DESIGN FOR CERAMICS, Lark Books, Pub., Maureen Mills, Author/Juror. 2008.
- COMMITTEE, TORPEDO FACTORY ARTISTS @ MOSAIC, Committee member, Fairfax, VA. May, 2019 – Present.
- JURIED MEMBER ARTIST, STUDIO 203, TORPEDO FACTORY ART CENTER, Alexandria, VA. March, 2013 – Present.
- JURIED MEMBER, SCOPE GALLERY, TORPEDO FACTORY ART CENTER, Alexandria, VA. September, 2004 – Present.
- MEMBER ARTIST, THE LEE ARTS CENTER, Arlington, VA. June, 2007 – August, 2016.
- JURIED MEMBER, KILN CLUB OF THE WASHINGTON DC AREA. September, 2004 – Present.